In 2018 I joined five other artists, and we displayed our work together in The Barn at Houlton, Rugby CV23 0AB
We really enjoyed exhibiting together, and are already planning for 2019, hopefully in the same venue.
It's a lovely light-filled space on the old Rugby Masts site, off the A428 Rugby to Crick Road, next door to the Tuning Fork Cafe.
My fellow artists were:
- Fused glass and silver jewellery. "Inspired by the coast, for people who love the colours & textures of the seashore."
- Mixed media. "I enjoy working in all media, taking my influences from a variety of sources including the landscape, flora and art history. Mixed media paintings embrace layers & ambiguity, some influenced by a recent trip to Norway. Latest discovery is eco-printing on silk scarves using natural dyes from leaves."
- "Oil paintings inspired by nature and the British landscape".
- "Watercolours of the fascinating places I have seen during my travels around the world".
- Sterling Silver jewellery inspired and cast from nature, made by hand in Rugby.
It was great fun to work together while we welcomed visitors over three weekends:
Open Studios can be both hard work and rewarding - it gives me the chance to show more of my work than is usually possible at an Exhibition, but also some work in progress, and the sketchbooks I use to plan work.
I've found that these are all welcomed by visitors, who like to ask questions about media and techniques, as well as hearing about the stories behind the pictures.
I try to demonstrate at times when visitors come - although it isn't always easy to concentrate, I think that visitors do appreciate the experience.
Warwickshire Open Studios in June/July is an annual event, giving free admission to venues across the county, often with over 300 local artists and designer makers, so there's plenty to see - www.warwickshireopenstudios.org
I always enjoy the time, welcoming new visitors and talking to some old friends as well.